Home Page . News and Recent Additions
A B .
C D .
E F .
G H .
I J .
K L .
M N .
O P .
Q R .
S T .
U V .
W X .
- Oh, may I join the choir invisible
- Of those immortal dead who live again
- In minds made better by their presence; live
- In pulses stirred to generosity,
- In deeds of daring rectitude, in scorn
- For miserable aims that end with self,
- In thoughts sublime that pierce the night like stars,
- And with their mild persistence urge men's search
- To vaster issues. So to live is heaven:
- To make undying music in the world,
- Breathing a beauteous order that controls
- With growing sway the growing life of man.
- So we inherit that sweet purity
- For which we struggled, failed, and agonized
- With widening retrospect that bred despair.
- Rebellious flesh that would not be subdued,
- A vicious parent shaming still its child,
- Poor anxious penitence, is quick dissolved;
- Its discords, quenched by meeting harmonies,
- Die in the large and charitable air,
- And all our rarer, better, truer self
- That sobbed religiously in yearning song,
- That watched to ease the burden of the world,
- Laboriously tracing what must be,
- And what may yet be better, -- saw within
- A worthier image for the sanctuary,
- And shaped it forth before the multitude,
- Divinely human, raising worship so
- To higher reverence more mixed with love, --
- That better self shall live till human Time
- Shall fold its eyelids, and the human sky
- Be gathered like a scroll within the tomb
- Unread forever. This is life to come, --
- Which martyred men have made more glorious
- For us who strive to follow. May I reach
- That purest heaven, -- be to other souls
- The cup of strength in some great agony,
- Enkindle generous ardor, feed pure love,
- Beget the smiles that have no cruelty,
- Be the sweet presence of a good diffused,
- And in diffusion ever more intense!
- So shall I join the choir invisible
- Whose music is the gladness of the world.
- George Eliot
Back to the Poets' Corner - Home Page .
Back to The Other Pages .
To the Guestbook
This page hosted by Geocities
Get your own Free Home Page