The Quotations Home Page

Home | Poetry | Images | Spy | Trivia
Quotations
Quote Index | Descriptions | Search Suggestions

Alphabetical by Topic

Theory

1. A little experience often upsets a lot of theory.
      --Cadman

2. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
      --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

3. [Do not] put too much confidence in experimental results until they have been confirmed by theory.
      -- Sir Arthur Eddington

4. I never once made a discovery ... I speak without exaggeration that I have constructed three thousand different theories in connection with the electric light ... Yet in only two cases did my experiments prove the truth of my theory.
      --Thomas A. Edison

5. A young boy is a theory, an old man is a fact.
      --Ed Howe

6. A theory is no more like a fact than a photograph is like a person.
      --Ed Howe

7. In scientific work, those who refuse to go beyond fact rarely get as far as fact.
      --Thomas Huxley

8. Science is organized common sense where many a beautiful theory was killed by an ugly fact.
      --Thomas Huxley

9. Many things difficult to design prove easy to performance.
      --Samuel Johnson

10. Conjecture as to things useful, is good; but conjecture as to what it would be useless to know, is very idle.
      --Samuel Johnson

11. There can be no theory of any account unless it corroborate with the theory of the earth.
      --Walt Whitman

Thinking

12. Sometimes people mistake the way I talk for what I am thinking.
      --Idi Amin

13. The general root of superstition is that men observe when things hit, and not when they miss, and commit to memory the one, and pass over the other.
      --Francis Bacon

14. Many highly intelligent people are poor thinkers. many people of average intelligence are skilled thinkrs. The power of the car is separate from the way the car is driven.
      --Edward de Bono

15. One must live the way one thinks or end up thinking the way one has lived.
      --Paul Bourget

16. We only think when we are confronted with a problem.
      --John Dewey

17. It is human nature to think wisely and to act in an absurd fashion.
      --Anatole France

18. A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and an invisible labor.
      --Victor Hugo

19. Think wrongly, if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.
      --Dorris Lessing

20. An Englishman thinks seated; a Frenchman, standing; an American, pacing; an irishman, afterward.
      --Austin O'Mally

21. A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.
      --Thomas Paine

22. ...to point at the moon a finger is needed, but woe to those who take the finger for the moon...
      --D.T. Suzuki

23. You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.
      --James Thurber

Thought

24. You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.
      --James Allen

25. One thought fills immensity.
      --William Blake

26. The busiest of living agents are certain dead men's thoughts.
      --Christian Nestell Bovee

27. Never express yourself more clearly than you think.
      --Niels Bohr

28. Learning without thought is labor lost.
      --Confucius

29. The soul of God is poured into the world through the thoughts of men.
      --Ralph Waldo Emerson

30. All thought is a feat of association; having what's in front of you bring up something in your mind that you almost didn't know you knew.
      --Robert Frost

31. Great thoughts reduced to practice become great acts.
      --William Hazlitt

32. A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought.
    There is a visible labour and an invisible labour.
      --Victor Hugo

33. The thoughts that come often unsought, and, as it were, drop into the mind, are commonly the most valuable of any we have.
      --John Locke

34. Thought takes man out of servitude, into freedom.
      --Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

35. No brain is stronger than its weakest think.
      --Thomas L. Masson

36. I've known countless people who were reservoirs of learning, yet never had a thought.
      --Wilson Mizner

37. When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.
      --Thomas Paine

38. We find it hard to believe that other people's thoughts are as silly as our own, but they probably are.
      --Jams Harvey Robinson

39. When thought becomes excessively painful, action is the finest remedy.
      --Salman Rushdie

40. A library is thought in cold storage.
      --Herbert Samuel

41. Arouse the mind without resting it on anything.
      --Diamond Sutra

42. To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning.
      --Henry David Thoreau

43. Associate reverently, as much as you can, with your loftiest thoughts.
      --Henry David Thoreau

44. Thought is borne of failure.
      --Lancelot Law Whyte

Time

45. Nothing is improbable until it moves into the past tense.
      --George Ade

46. Time cuts down all,
    Both great and small.
      --Anonymous

47. Lost time is never found again.
      --John H. Aughey

48. Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong is its current; no sooner is a thing brought to site thn it is swept by and another takes its place, and this too will be swept away.
      --Marcus Aurelius

49. Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
      --Hector Berlioz

50. Time is like money, the less we have of it to spare the further we make it go.
      --Josh Billings

51. The White Rabbit put on his spectacles. "Where shall I begin, please your Majesty?" he asked. "Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end; then stop."
      --Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

52. The opera ain't over till the fat lady sings.
      --Dan Cook

53. This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.
      --Ralph Waldo Emerson

54. These times of ours are serious and full of calamity, but all times are essentially alike. As soon as there is life there is danger.
      --Ralph Waldo Emerson

55. Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of.
      --Benjamin Franklin

56. Time and tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of 30.
      --Robert Frost

57. One always has time enough, if one will apply it well.
      --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

58. Time and I against any two.
      --Baltasar Gracian

59. Time, whose tooth gnaws away at everything else, is powerless against truth.
      --Thomas Huxley

60. Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty diamond minutes. No reward is offered for they are gone forever.
      --Horace Mann

61. Time cools; time clarifies; no mood can be maintained quite unaltered through the course of hours.
      --Thomas Mann

62. Time is the wisest of all counselors.
      --Plutarch

63. Time is at once the most valuable and the most perishable of all our possessions.
      --John Randolph

64. As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.
      --Henry David Thoreau

65. The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.
      --Rabindranath Tagore

66. Punctuality is the thief of time.
      --Oscar Wilde

67. The inifinite is in the finite of every instant.
      --Zen Saying

Tolerance

68. I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance.
      --Samuel Taylor Coleridge

69. The responsibility of tolerance lies in those who have the wider vision.
      --George Eliot

70. Tolerance comes with age. I see no fault committed that I myself could not have committed at some time or other.
      --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

71. People are very open-minded about new things--as long as they're exactly like the old ones.
      --Charles F. Kettering

72. Tolerance is another word for indifference.
      --W. Somerset Maugham

73. Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow's too lazy to form an opinion.
      --Will Rogers

74. It is easy to be tolerant of the principles of other people if you have none of your own.
      --Herbert Samuel

75. Tolerance is the oil which takes the friction out of life.
      --Wilbert E. Scheer

76. No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. Our liberties are equal rights of every citizen.
      --Wendell L. Willkie

Tradition

77. Tradition is an important help to history, but its statements should be carefully scrutinized before we rely on them.
      --Joseph Addison

78. What an enormous magnifier is tradition! How a thing grows in the human memory and in the human imagination, when love, worship, and all that lies in the human heart, is there to encourage it.
      --Thomas Carlyle

79. Tradition does not mean that the living are dead, but that the dead are living.
      --Gilbert K. Chesterton

80. It takes an endless amount of history to make even a little tradition.
      --Henry James

81. Traditionalists are pessimists about the future and optimists about the past.
      --Lewis Mumford

Tragedy

82. The tragedy of life is not so much what men suffer, but rather what they miss.
      --Thomas Carlyle

83. What the American public wants in the theater is a tragedy with a happy ending.
      --William D. Howells

84. There are two tragedies in life: one is to lose your heart's desire, the other is to gain it.
      --George Bernard Shaw

85. The world is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel.
      --Horace Walpole

Travel

86. The time to enjoy a European trip is about three weeks aftr unpacking.
      --George Ade

87. My favourite thing is to go where I've never been.
      --Diane Arbus

88. The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page.
      --Saint Augustine

89. I met a lot of people in Europe. I even encountered myself.
      --James Baldwin

90. In America there are two classes of travel--first class, and with children.
      --Robert Benchley

91. The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.
      --Gilbert K. Chesterton

92. Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.
      --Benjamin Disraeli

93. Every perfect traveller always creates the country where he travels.
      --Nikos Kazantzakis

94. Never a ship sails out of bay but carries my heart as a stowaway.
      --Roselle Mercier Montgomery

95. A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it.
      --George Moore

96. There is a ghost
    That eats hankerchiefs;
    It keeps you company
    On all your travels.
      --Christian Morganstern

97. I dislike feeling at home when I am abroad.
      --George Bernard Shaw

98. For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
      --Robert Louis Stevenson

99. The journey is the reward.
      --Tao saying

100. In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in Fench; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their own language.
      --Mark Twain

101. The man who goes out alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.
      --Henry David Thoreau

Treason

102. Is there not some chosen curse, some hidden thunder in the stores of heaven, red with uncommon wrath, to blast the man who owes his greatness to his country's ruin!
      --Joseph Addison

103. Treason is like diamonds; there is nothing to be made by the small trader.
      --Douglas Jerrold

104. There is something peculiarly sinister and insidious in even a charge of disloyalty. Such a charge all too frequently places a strain on the reputation of an individual which is indelible and lasting, regardless of the complete innocence later proved.
      --John Lord O'Brian

105. We are a rebellious nation. Our whole history is treason; our blood was attained before we were born; our creeds were infidelity to the mother church; our constitution treason to our fatherland.
      --Theodore Parker

106. Write on my gravestone: "Infidel, Traitor."--infidel to every church that compromises with wrong; traitor to every government that oppresses the people.
      --Wendell Phillips

Trifles

107. It is the little bits of things that fret and worry us; we can dodge an elephant, but we can't dodge a fly.
      --Josh Billings

108. Small ills are the fountains of most of our groans. Men trip not on mountains, they stumble on stones.
      --Chinese Proverb

109. Little things affect little minds.
      --Benjamin Disraeli

110. The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
      --Ralph Waldo Emerson

111. For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
    For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
    For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
    For the want of a rider the battle was lost,
    For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost,
    And all for the want of a horse-shoe nail.
      --Benjamin Franklin

112. A small leak will sink a great ship.
      --Benjamin Franklin

113. Little strokes fell great oaks.
      --Benjamin Franklin

114. There is nothing too little for so little a creature as man. It is by studying little things that we attain the great art of having as little misery and as much happiness as possible.
      --Samuel Johnson

115. Trifles make perfection--and perfection is no trifle.
      --Michelangelo

B A C K

©1994 Stephen L. Spanoudis, All Rights Reserved Worldwide

H o m e  |   e - m a i l