Poets' Corner Home Page . News and Recent Additions
- I WON the prize essay at school
- Here in the village,
- And published a novel before I was twenty-five.
- I went to the city for themes and to enrich my art;
- There married the banker’s daughter,
- And later became president of the bank—
- Always looking forward to some leisure
- To write an epic novel of the war.
- Meanwhile friend of the great, and lover of letters,
- And host to Matthew Arnold and to Emerson.
- An after dinner speaker, writing essays
- For local clubs. At last brought here—
- My boyhood home, you know—
- Not even a little tablet in Chicago
- To keep my name alive.
- How great it is to write the single line:
- “Roll on, thou deep and dark blue Ocean, roll!”
- Edgar lee Masters
Poets' Corner .
H O M E .
©2000 Poets' Corner Editorial Staff, All Rights Reserved Worldwide