- For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.
Hazrat Inayat Khan
- Words that enlighten are more precious than jewels.
- Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.
- The more things change, the more they are the same.
Edward Kasner and James R. Newman
- It's only by amusing oneself that one can learn.
Sylvia Fine Kaye
- An unemployed court jester is nobody's fool.
- The ultimate most holy form of theory is action.
- Maybe you're right, boss. It all depends on the way you look at it. Look, one day I had gone to a little village. An old grandfather of ninety was busy planting an almond tree. 'What, grandad!' I exclaimed. 'Planting an almond tree?' and he, bent as he was, turned round and said, 'My son, I carry on as if I should never die.' I replied, 'And I carry on as if I was going to die any minute.' Which of us was right, boss?" - from Zorba the Greek
- What, then is our duty? It is to carefully distinguish the historic moment in which we live and to consciously assign our small energies to a specific battlefield. The more we are in phase with the current which leads the way, the more we aid man in his difficult, uncertain, danger-fraught ascent toward salvation. - from Report to Greco
Alex P. Keaton
- When I was young, all I wanted was to be ruler of the universe. Now that isn't enough.
- A little boy came home and told his mother he had gotten first prize in an examination. The question had been How many legs does a horse have? He had answered, Three. When his mother asked how he had gotten the first prize, he replied that all the other children had said, Two. - from Silver Departures
- Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experiences of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved.
- The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched... but are felt in the heart.
- College isn't the place to go for ideas.
- Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
- We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world.
- All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming it.
- Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
- Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all - the apathy of human beings.
- As the eagle was killed by the arrow winged with his own feather, so the hand of the world is wounded by its own skill.
- One's life story cannot be told with complete veracity. A true autobiography would have to be written in states of mind, emotions, heartbeats, smiles and tears; not in months and years, or physical events. Life is marked off on the soul by feelings, not by dates.
Walt Kelly, from the Pogo comic strip
- We have met the enemy, and he is us.
Mary Ellen Kelly
- Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams.
President, Royal Society, 1895
- Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.
Thomas a Kempis
- Love feels no burden, thinks nothing of trouble, attempts what is above its strength, pleads no excuse of impossibility; for it thinks all things lawful for itself, and all things possible.
- The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dreams shall never die.
John F. Kennedy
- If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
- A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
- Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
- And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.
- Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty. - Inagural Address
- Our privileges can be no greater than our obligations. The protection of our rights can endure no longer than the performance of our responsibilities.
Robert F. Kennedy
- Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.
- The future does not belong to those who are content with today, apathetic toward common problems and their fellow man alike, timid and fearful in the face of bold projects and new ideas. Rather, it will belong to those who can blend passion, reason and courage in a personal commitment to the ideals of American society.
- A man ninety years old was asked to what he attributed his longevity. 'I
reckon,' he asid, with a twinkle in his eye, 'It's because most nights I
went to bed and slept when I should have sat up and worried.'
- I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to
the thoughtless approval of the masses.
Kermit the Frog
- Time's fun when you're having flies.
Brian W. Kernighan
- I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
- The longing to produce great inspirations didn't produce anything
but more longing.
Charles F. Kettering
- My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there.
Ken S. Keyes, Jr
- To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have.
John Maynard Keynes
- In the long run, we are all dead.
- Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.
- What's really important in life? Sitting on a beach? Looking a television eight hours a day? I think we have to appreciate that we're alive for only a limited period of time, and we'll spend most of our lives working. That being the case, I believe one of the most important priorities is to do whatever we do as well as we can. We should take pride in that.
- Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forward.
- There is nothing with which every man is so afraid as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming.
- Life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced.
- It seems essential, in relationships and all tasks, that we concentrate only on what is most significant and important.
- 'I think therefore I am' is the statement of an intellectual who underrates toothaches.
Martin Luther King
- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
- Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
- Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
- Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.
- The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Now, I say to you today my friends, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'
- We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
- The means by which we live have outdistanced the ends for which we live. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men. - from Strength To Love
- Some people say that I must be a horrible person, but that's not true. I have the heart of a young boy - in a jar on my desk.
- Questions are the creative acts of intelligence.
- Words are the most powerful drug used by mankind.
- The female of the species is more deadly than the male.
- We have forty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse.
- Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy.
- Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics.
- If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room.
- In the long run, we get no more than we have been willing to risk giving.
- Television: A medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well done.
(1911- ) American author and journalist
- Figures won’t lie, but liars can figure.
Knight Ridder News Service
- The crime bill passed by the Senate would reinstate the Federal death penalty for certain violent crimes: assassinating the President; hijacking an airliner; and murdering a government poultry inspector.
D. E. Knuth
- The most important thing in the programming language is the name. A language will not succeed without a good name. I have recently invented a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language.
- Technology is Darwinian. It spreads. It evolves. It adapts. The most dangerous wipes out the less fit.
- In a mad world only the mad are sane.
- What used to be called liberal is now called radical, what used to be called radical is now called insane, what used to be called reactionary is now called moderate, and what used to be called insane is now called solid conservative thinking.
- If you give a man a fish, he will have a single meal. If you teach him how to fish, he will eat all his life.